Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Draft Texts (again) and New Bands

This needs to be done, so I can clean out my phone. Stupid phone.
(The following are in chronological order with the oldest listed
first. Most will be followed by a commentary.)

______________________________________________________________________

General attribution error works backwards, too. With getting good grades on
assignments, I attribute this to my skills, rather than the teacher's ease.
Thus, I am pressured to keep up the same degree of effort so as to keep my
good grades, even though they may not be too affected due to the possibility
of an easy teacher.

I realize that may not make much sense, but I'm essentially trying to get at
why I'll never really be able to fully relax about school, which I'm perfectly
okay with. But, every semester, I start out thinking that I have to make sure
I do well so that I don't jeopardize my GPA in case I end up having a really
legitimately difficult class in the future. However, as I was thinking about
this today, beginning to say the same thing about the approaching Spring semester,
I predict that I will keep saying the same thing until, surprise! College is over!


--

Evolution cannot acknowledge the human mind because evolution says that we are
no more than animals. Wait, so to believe in evolution-with a human mind-you have
to deny the human mind-your own human mind? That makes sense.

Written while eavesdropping on/not participating in a conversation.

--

You have to communicate with people on their own level.

Why proselytizing doesn't work?

--

Plus of homeschooling: no high school building that acts as a prison for personal
definition.

Plus meaning advantage.

--

How do you practice something you don't know?

Jazz band, probably.

--

If we live by default, we let others write the script for us. Circumstances inspire
default responses.

Excerpts from President Stone's 2010 Commencement Speech don't make as much of an
impact when they're taken out of context...


--

Buena Vista Middle School, Amherst High School, bowling, dinner at Applebee's,
hanging out at hotel. Breakfast, left at 11am, Hidden Valley High, The Country
Store, two at Cave Springs High School, dinner and an hour at Valley View Mall,
hotel, Salem Red Socks vs. Frederick Keys, left before it was over, pizza fiasco
at hotel.

An incomplete itinerary of Jazz Band Tour 2010 (WOO!).

--

Brute force is the only language 95 percent of the population can truly understand.

Something I overheard. I think it's sick.

--

Democrats and Republicans don't fight as much as the media portrays because the
contentious issues are the ones that get publicity. ...right, because there are
essentially no separate parties. They're all in it together.

A quote from the same person and my reaction. There's really not much more to my
political views than "Anti-Party System." Sure, parties are going to naturally
arise because people are attracted to those they can easily relate to. People are
attracted to those to whom they can easily relate? Oh, proper grammar, how strange
you are. It'd be more productive to ask me about my philosophical views, rather
than political. Politics has left a bitter taste in my mouth.


--

Swirlies are the funniest thing that people don't do. ... Did you read Lord of the
Flies? It's all true and it makes me upset. :( Yeah and you keep being bothered
because you are one of the roughest and most pessimistic people I know.


Same person. My response after the emoticon. It gets worse; see below.


--

I believe personally that motivation is more important than results because of my
religious beliefs, but the general belief is that results are more important and
it's difficult to impossible for me to apply the motivation motivation to other
areas of my life outside of religion. Okay first off, everything in every life is
inherently connected - your religion to your friends and your friends to your job
and your job to your religion. Nothing can exist in a vacuum. Second, when you say
motivation, what you really mean is purpose. We are either motivated by purpose or
results, not motivated by motivation or results. Third, oh hey, lack of integrity.
Connected to a lack of integrity are shallowness and superficiality.

Same person. My responses starting with "Okay." I had had enough after all this and
ended up removing myself and sitting in a corner. Good day. -_- Am I too mean and
reactionary? Probably. But how can I not talk about terrible arguments?


--

You're on stage makes us want to perform, which is not what we want.

Just a thought. Referring to life as a stage promotes a lack of integrity, which is
NOT what we should want.


--

Feed companies add tastycake products to feed to make them appealing because
animals don't naturally eat feed. Color of yolk controlled by diet.

Some fun facts from a HOBY field trip to Wenger Feeds!

--

Just because it's a good deal, doesn't mean it's not expensive.

No comment necessary, lol.

--

Being defined by your high school. Example of anxiety because of SAT for the third
time.

This connects to the previous draft text about a plus of homeschooling.

--

HLS 1142

Hahahahahahaha.

--

I tend to feel my best at school because I know how to handle school and am quite
good at it. I feel my best at school because it is a confidence boost. Otherwise,
I honestly don't know what I'm doing, which upsets me, makes me feel emotionally
unhealthy, and upsets me even more.

There's PROBABLY something wrong with me. Hah. But this is why I like school. I like
school mostly because I'm good at it. When I'm succeeding at school, I feel like I
can take on the world. Success and confidence is contagious, I suppose. I suppose
that my life-quest will be to find a career that makes me feel how school does.


--

Integrity is integral. Seven intelligences. If it's worth it after the glass shatters.

Just some random thoughts and stuff I want to study. Look up the seven intelligences.
Also, if you haven't seen the episode of "How I Met Your Mother" that is about the
phenomenon of glass shattering within a romantic relationship, please change that.


--

"As the past perfect clanged in his mind he began to ooze at the eyes again."

Ohh, Stephen King. <3

--

They're good at getting along at recess because the teacher is there and not at PE
because the teacher is not, but they're not quiet in the hall when the teacher is
there. So the teacher doesn't seem to be a determining factor. So there must be
something else. To much structure at PE? Poor activities at PE? Recess is fifteen
minutes and PE is thirty? What else?

Oh, you know, just trying to fix the American education system.

--

Maybe the worst emotional crisis is the absence of such a crisis - for that is a
crisis of non-emotion.

Uh... you know how I said there's probably something wrong with me? Yeah. I enjoy
being moderately stressed. I get pleasure out of being productive and, when there
is not much to do, it is more difficult for me to be productive. The same applies
to emotional issues.


--

Thinking that breaking the rules is the only way to be moral is a very big problem.

I think this is another Stephen King quote, but I'm not sure, so I didn't put it in
quotation marks.


--

A man without a sense of purpose, even one whose bank accounts are stuffed with
money, is always a small man.


A quote from Stephen King OR a Sociology textbook.


--

Being domineering is not the same as being dominant. I'm not psychic, you're just
predictable.

First of all, I like words. Second of all, a regular customer called me psychic
because I know his cigarette brand and type (I also know what else he buys in
addition to his cigarettes) and this is the thought that entered my mind. Again,
words are awesome. Another job-inspired quote is: "If you can't find the bathroom,
you don't deserve it." Haha. And "Please don't pay with dirty change." Really. Keep
your chunks of eyeliner in your pocket.


--

In a hurry. In denial by keeping themselves occupied. Apathetic, ignorant, arrogant.
Like to complain, seek drama.

A running list of adjectives that seem to describe people of the American culture.
This list was not my idea and I'm deleting it from my phone because I've found a
better sense of optimism.


--

You can't proselytize and you can't force belief. You can only lead by example and
have integrity.

Well, aside from my blatant grammatical mishap, I can see a trend of integrity.

--

If I'm buying you something or paying for you; if I'm doing these things, it's not
I'm expecting anything in return, I'm doing them because I want to.

You seemed so theoretically perfect. Peace.

--

Narrow Passage Creek.

This is a place I want to explore. It's between Bridgewater Virginia and Dover
Pennsylvania.


--

Realize that very few students understand that being a teacher is just as, if not
more than, stressful as being a student.

An addition for If I Were a Teacher.

--

About PDP: I think they could make it more valuable. No, YOU make it as valuable as
YOU want it to be. YOU determine its value. Also, RESILIENCY.

Value and purpose are fascinating topics. As is resiliency.

--

Songs: Discover America's Psychology. Number One Gun's The North Pole Project.
Stereolove. Life on Mars.
Books: This is Your Brain on Music. Catcher in the Rye.
Movie: The New Guy.
Bands: Europe, Sleigh Bells, The National.

A collection of things to look up and enjoy. I now own a copy of Cather in the Rye
and have started my dystopian trek with A Brave New World and A Clockwork Orange.
1984 is next on the pile, then Catcher.


______________________________________________________________________








Okay, that's it for draft texts. In addition to The National, Europe, and Sleigh
Bells; I'd like to post my running list of current new bands. I discovered most
of these through Pandora (through my The Bravery station, which led to the song
"One Day Like This" by Elbow, which led to a station seeded from that song, etc)
or a particular friend or two. Europe and Sleigh Bells were heard at work or on
the radio. Anyway. The following list is far from exhaustive, but includes most
of what I currently listen to and/or will be listening to in the near future.

(Parenthetical text following a band's name are specific songs)

--

Elbow (Grace Under Pressure, One Day Like This, Starlings, Mexican Standoff)
Phenoix
Ratatat
Ochre (Midsummer Nice Dream)
D Numbers (Xylem Up)
Mono
Mates of State
Mogwai
Miike Snow
GRUM
Matthew Dear
Mute Math
Passion Pit
Justice
Mumford & Sons
Circa Survive
Dead Mouse
Dan Deacon Ensemble
The Melvins
Avett Brothers
Diesel Boy
Between the Bear and Me
Minus the Bear

______________________________________________________________________







No comments: