Sunday, January 30, 2011

Leaps and Nonsense

Let me start out by saying that this may be a difficult and somewhat incoherent read. I don't have much of
a specific plan, so I make absolutely no guarantees that my ideas are anywhere near fleshed-out or sensical
in any way. Enjoy! (note--this post turned out to be relatively short and mostly dumb; so, sorry)




It always surprises me how circumstances and situations and social environments can change so much in
such a short period of time. Progress--and change of any kind--happens in leaps. The present does not
become the past in a neat series of easily-outlined steps. Transitions aren't common? Maybe this is why I
don't believe in tipping points? No, that feels contradictory; what happens to liminality?

I guess it comes down to circumstances? Sometimes change happens in leaps. Sometimes there is a transitory
stage. Sometimes there is liminality. And, even sometimes, maybe there are tipping points.

Needless to say, it seems to me that change most often happens in leaps. Maybe because, in retrospect, we
tend to focus on the major events (the tipping points, I suppose), rather than remembering the small,
easily-outlined steps of progress (neutral).





I met with my advisor on Friday to confirm the concrete plan of classes for next year. It was significantly
easier than I anticipated.

Fall 2011
Socio of the Family
Biological Psychology
Fundamentals of Learning
Counseling
Criminology

Interterm 2012
Field Experience

Spring 2012
Interventive Methods
Public Mental Health
Community
Biology (dunno what kind)
Dev/Underdev of the Modern World OR a 300/400-Level Global Studies SOC course

I also met with another Sociology Professor to discuss Grad School advice.
- go where the money is
- look at field placements
- look at professional options post-graduation
- look at faculty concentrations
- talk to current students/faculty/alumni





Uh... what else? I took a break to get some food and I've forgotten. I know I had much more to say...

For some inspiration, I read a few recent posts.

"There is a young life at stake. I hope you breed resiliency.
"

Resiliency is such a fascinating topic. It's right up there with body language, social space, multiple
intelligences, and Horney's idealized self.

Also, "How do you handle your failings while trying to help everyone else overcome their own failings?
"

Essentially, what if I end up not being cut out for what I have set on my heart to accomplish?

I'm not entirely having a severe crisis of self-doubt, just a little one. The world I live in is not structured in
such a way that I can easily focus on my intangible core values and thus be more constantly satisfied. No,
I have to follow the steps, I do have to go through the motions--at least to some extent. Pick a grad school,
figure out where I want to live, figure out where I want to work, complete grad school, and accomplish all
previously-set goals. The world I live in is not structured in such a way that I can easily remind myself of
Johnny Bunko. I realize there is no plan and I realize that I am inherently more satisfied when I focus on
non-plan things (core vaules!), but there still has to be a plan. Sigh. That's all; baby crisis.





This is veering toward a bit of non-optimism.





CLASSES

Psych Research Methods - So far, so total cake. Thanks, Brazill, for very well teaching me research methods.
I feel very much ahead of this class. Also, I am very excited that the group project entails no actual research,
but rather the analysis of fabricated data. However, boo for group work.

I wonder how effective it is, when teaching a concept or two, to emphasize said concept as terribly difficult.
Does this discourage students? Or encourage them to overcome this obstacle? Or make them feel the
opposite of empowerment because they feel helpless and unintelligent against said obstacle? Circumstances,
kids, I do believe. And method of communication. Saying the same thing can come off either as empowering
or as discouraging. Can we train empowerment?

Geology - Honestly, so far, I like it far less than I thought I would. A close friend suggested I do not like it
because the introductory lessons were of an old-earth, non-creation point of view, which is probably true.
We're starting to get into actual rocks now and, although I get bogged down by the science-y parts of the
readings, hopefully the labs will be enjoyable (first on Wednesday).

Group Process - I really don't even know what to say about this class, other than I was looking forward to it
and it's weird, scary, intimidating, and hopefully awesome and applicable. But I can't tell yet. I feel that we
need more facilitation. Thursday was kind of like drowning in non-productivity. Oh, that explains why I did
not like it.

Social Inequality - I have a feeling this class is going to be a lot of work. But the professor is awesome and a lot
of my classmates are my Methods friends, so it should be a good time. I am desperately trying to focus on
knowledge-acquisition, rather than achievement.

Socio Methods II - First of all, it's going to get confusing to have two methods classes, both of which are
commonly referred to as "Methods." Regardless, I like this class, in spite of how my classmates feel and how
much they disagree. I volunteered to be a part of Team A, and will be one-fifth responsible for the editing
phase of survey production (compilation, proofreading, compilation, proofreading, proofreading, etc).
You should be well-aware of how much I enjoy proofreading.





I really don't like Facebook, but I think I'm more involved with it than ever. Social sabbatical? Perhaps. I'd
rather just try to limit interaction via Facebook. That always seems to remind me of how unnecessary it
really is.





Pitt, Bryn Mawr, Azusa Pacific. So much for grad school in Virginia? Yes, it's looking that way.





First piano lesson tomorrow.

2 comments:

The Balcony Lady said...

have some camomile.

Luna said...

It usually happens in leaps because people are impatient, generally speaking.

It's hard to remember to take life one day at a time sometimes, isn't it?