Saturday, January 9, 2010

College(2) (Sep 1, 2009)

(posted to Facebook, September 1, 2009)







So far...
(since I finished what minimal homework I had for the two classes that started today)





People
I'm finding my niche in jazz band. I cannot wait for pep band.



Personal Development Portfolio
Cake class, probably. It seems like it will be fairly identical to PHIL101 at HACC. Lots of movies and twice a week reflective writing. And class participation. And a final reflective essay (15-20pages), which will be a summary and reflection of all the twice a week writings, essentially. And, with the reflective writing, we're supposed to write about how our experiences are influencing our critical thinking, emotional/spiritual selves, and something else AND IT'S BASICALLY GOING TO BE A MINIATURE INFLUENCE LIST. Cakecakecakecakecake. And three service leadership hours. For my reflective journal entry today, I wrote about jazz band.

At Bridgewater, each student is required to complete 10 service learning hours each year. (Like volunteering, only not voluntary) I've heard a lot of people say this is a lot. HOBIES, tell them it's not. 10 is only 10 percent of 100, which isn't even a lot! HOBY!



Measurement and Statistics
Most of the homework will be completed within the class. There is also a semester project where we develop a survey, survey students, and enter and analyze the data and present our findings. It seems like it will be easier than I thought it would be, but I don't want to underestimate it. And oh no, group project! :(



Student Life
Food is good. I think it's good. I've never been bothered too much by cafeteria food. Aside from the fact that Olivia and I miss steamed veggies. Living is good. Roommate is good. :) Some neighbors are good. :) Hall meetings are kind of lame. Oh well.



Jazz Band
Today went significantly better than yesterday. I think my understanding of the difficulty level helped a lot because I expected it to be hard, so I was better mentally prepared. I also got to practice yesterday and I played the two songs Dr. Weir said we would go over today so I wouldn't have to sight-read so much. And I told him that I don't know how to read chord notation and he's going to work with me on that. And we went over a third song today and I aced-ly sight-read a two beat SOLO. It sounded neat-o. I have In The Stone and Soul Man stuck in my head.



Work-Study
Had my interview at the library today, which wasn't so much an interview as it was asking what work experience I have, what department I want to work in, giving me a tour, doing some training, and letting me read the library handbook and do the Dewey Decimal training program. The Alexander Mack Library is pretty sweet, if I do say so myself. Although I guess I really only have LBC and HACC York to compare it to when it comes to college libraries. I'll be working four hours a week. And I'll be getting paid for training today.



HIBACHI IS AMAZING. And, as long as at least one friend is also getting hibachi, the line doesn't seem so bad. It depends who's working, I've noticed.







I REALLY WANT PEP BAND TO START.

No comments: